Liverpool Football Club discuss
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2008/09 season

4 posters

Go down

2008/09 season Empty 2008/09 season

Post  Admin Sat May 10, 2008 3:12 pm

with this season almost over, it's that time of the year again to start planning ahead for next season. The season's transfer budget looks likely to be spent on Gareth Barry (a good buy i reckon) and the biggest name being linked with a move away from Anfield looks to be Xabi Alonso which would be a disaster if it happened. Peter Crouch, who has recently had a 15 million pound price tag on his head by manager Rafael Benitez looks certain to be leaving once this season has finished and that will be a crying shame. Crouch is a top player and really deserves a place in the starting 11 as long as we revert back to the tried and tested 4-4-2 formation.

Next season's ambitions for me has to be challenging for the league. It's been a long time since we were really in a title chase going into the last month of the season. Next year we must challenge. I think with the squad we will have come the start of the season, we should be good enough to at least challenge, depending we don't rotate to much and don't lose to many key players to long standing injuries. Before United and Chelsea pull away to a level were ourselves and Arsenal are to far behind to catch them, it's imperitive we seriouslly challenge them. Also it's vital we keep one step ahead of the other teams fighting for fourth. Spurs, Newcastle, Everton, Villa, City and Pompey will all be thinking that with a good set of results that they can break into to the top four, so for the fininical benifits of the champions league and the presitge that comes with being in europe's premier competition, it's a must that we make the top four.

Other competitions, I think we have to at least win one of them. This year was the first time Rafa could spend how much he liked on who he wanted, but it was also the first year we failed to make a major final under him, so I think next year we need to be back on track by winning cup competitions. It gives the fans something to smile and cheer about, if the league fails again. We all want the league, but not many would refuse another champions league either. Success in the cups is important for the club. So another successful cup journey may keep the knives off Rafa for a little longer, which can only be a good thing.

Another ambition for next year I have is to see the back of those twats Hicks and Gillett. They've done nothing but bring the good name of Liverpool Football Club down. They've now made the club a laughing stock and if they persist with their current ways it may turn DIC away for good. Yanks out and DIC in.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://lfcdiscuss.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

2008/09 season Empty Re: 2008/09 season

Post  went_to_school_with_god Sat May 10, 2008 3:55 pm

i'm happy to see crouch go in all honesty because i like him as a player and while he's staying at liverpool his career isn't moving forward. he needs to move to further his own career.

next year the league has to be a priority. no point pussy footing around any longer. we need to win it next year otherwise the top clubs will just be moving further and further away.

went_to_school_with_god

Back to top Go down

Post  bill_from_L8 Sat May 10, 2008 4:20 pm

league must be number one on the list. it's been a building process for the last four years under Benitez but next year is make or break for him. If we're out of the title race by christmas which we usually are then he has to go at the end of next year. To many "nearly seasons" for us over the past 20 years or so. Next year we must at the very least challenge for the title and make it go right down to the wire.

yanks out, that's simple.

transfers, gotta admit tommy (admin) i don't wanna see the back of either Crouch or Alonso. Both are key figures for Liverpool and give us something different. Bring Barry, Bentley and Berbatov in and get rid of the deadwood. Have a small squad that's full of quality rather than a large squad full of mediocre players. Intandje, Finnan, Riise, Aurelio, Benayoun, Kuyt, Voronin, Kewell and a few of the kids who simply are never going to be good enough to lessen the squad. Bring in the three I've mentioned as first teamers and the kids who are good enough to support the squad if we get down to the bare bones.
bill_from_L8
bill_from_L8

Back to top Go down

Post  shaun_LFC Sat May 10, 2008 4:53 pm

give Rafa the funds and he'll buy quality. We've proven that. Give him 60 million to spend on three world class players and we'll win the league.

YNWA
shaun_LFC
shaun_LFC

Back to top Go down

Post  bill_from_L8 Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm

shaun_LFC wrote:give Rafa the funds and he'll buy quality. We've proven that. Give him 60 million to spend on three world class players and we'll win the league.

YNWA

I admire your optimism Shauny, but we're a long way off winning the league I reckon. Even with the 60 million you think we need, for me we still need more consistancy and more desire. They are two things money can't buy. Having said that, being the optimistic lad I am, I fully expect us to win the league next year, because I expect us to win it every year.
bill_from_L8
bill_from_L8

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Watching the England game tonight and I think Gareth Barry would be a great addition to our squad. (not just because he scored)
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://lfcdiscuss.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down